About The Course
A technical qualification for students wishing to specialise in the maintenance, repair and fault diagnostics of vehicle systems. It builds on the successful completion of a Level 2 qualification.
Diagnostic skills are established through classroom and workshop based training and practice. This knowledge and the associated skills are developed in the application and use of a range of test equipment. This course will be delivered through a mix of practical and classroom-based learning.
Applicants must possess a strong Pass grade in City & Guilds or IMI Level 2 Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair. They must also hold GCSE English and maths qualifications at grades 2 – 5.
This qualification prepares you for employment in the motor vehicle industry. The knowledge and skills developed during this programme can enable you to progress to a technical or professional position.
The units include:
- Skills in diagnosing and rectifying light vehicle engine faults
- Skills in diagnosing and rectifying light vehicle chassis system faults
- Knowledge of diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle engine faults
- Knowledge in diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle chassis faults
- Knowledge of diagnosis and rectification of light vehicle transmission and driveline faults
- Skills in diagnosing and rectifying vehicle auxiliary electrical faults
- Knowledge of diagnosis and rectification of vehicle auxiliary electrical faults
Alongside the above, your study programme will include GCSE English and maths, where appropriate, which is timetabled for three days a week. Those who come to us with passes (grade 4 and above) in English and/or maths will follow a Professional Development programme alongside their main study programme.
Students will also complete 1-day a week at a suitable employer as part of the Industry Placement component of this programme.
You will require PPE for practical lessons, they are:
- Steel toe capped safety boots
- Safety glasses
You will also require a pen for your practical and theory lessons.
A locker will be provided to all students which will incur a fee with a non-refundable deposit.
This programme develops repair and fault finding skills and knowledge. Students will leave this course with a Level 3 City & Guilds Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair.
Level 3 C&G Assessment includes:
4 online multiple-choice exams. The pass mark for these is 60%
Practical skills assessments
Written knowledge assessments
You will build a portfolio of evidence to record all assessment.
Students will undertake a mixture of 2-weeks block industry placements and a further 25 days of placement on a 1-day per week format for the rest of the course duration.
City & Guilds.