The Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science is an excellent starting point. This two year course is the equivalent of three A Levels and covers the fundamentals of working within the Science industry.
Covering a wide range of topics across biology, chemistry and physics you will acquire a high level of practical laboratory skills from which theory is then drawn.
Examples of the units that you will study as part of this course include:
- Principles and Applications of Science I and II (Examinations)
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills (Externally assessed)
- Laboratory Techniques and their Application
- Investigative Project
- Contemporary Issues in Science (Externally assessed)
- Medical Physics Applications
- Microbiology and Microbiological Techniques
- Forensic Evidence, Collection and Analysis
WHY CHOOSE BCA?
- Purpose built science facility onsite
- State-of the art laboratories and classrooms, all fully equipped with interactive IT support
About the course
This course provides a variety of topic based learning assignments which will help you develop vocationally relevant skills. It is taught through a range of activities including theory and practical based work.
The aim of the course is to develop your specialist subject knowledge and scientific skills. You will also develop the transferable skills of analysis and evaluation which are essential in any career. This course provides an excellent alternative for students who wish to continue studying science to Level 3 but do not wish to follow the A Level mode of assessment.
Completion of the course provides opportunities of direct employment into laboratory work or on to Higher Education such as a university degree. Entrance requirements for specific degree courses can be found on the UCAS website.
*There are also options for learners to study a 1 year 60 credit subsidiary diploma or 90 credit diploma qualification.
Click here to read more about what BCA offers as part of your Study Programme.
Minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade 5 – 9 to include maths, English and science core and additional OR merit/distinction in BTEC level 2 in applied science.