About The Course
Our Level 3 programme in Protective Services is designed to prepare you for the nature and pressure of protective services work. The course will give you an insight into the realities of working in a uniformed protective service, the mixture of theoretical and practical subjects are delivered by experienced lecturers from protective service backgrounds, unit content is based on real-life workplace situations, activities and demands and will develop the essential skills and knowledge you will need to work in this sector.
The course is delivered by experienced Lecturers with Protective Services backgrounds. The units are taught via a multitude of engaging and exciting methods including, role plays, guest speakers, trips and expedition alongside traditional lectures and interactive online learning.
Five GCSEs or equivalent at grade 4 or above, including English and maths or successful completion of a Level 2 qualification at Merit or Distinction level with GCSE English and maths at grade 4 or above.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate enthusiasm for the protective services and the development of their own leadership, teamwork, fitness levels and communication skills.
Learners will begin on a one-year Foundation Diploma, equivalent to 1.5 A-Levels. Successful completion of year one will lead to progression onto the second year where you will study an additional 90 credits to achieve a fully Extended Diploma, equivalent to 3 A-Levels. Completion of the Extended Diploma will lead to entry to a range of Higher Education programmes, apprenticeships or employment.
Some example units include:
- Citizenship and Diversity
- Behaviour and Discipline in the Uniformed Protective Services
- Physical Preparation, Health and Wellbeing
- Teamwork, Leadership and Communication in the Uniformed Protective Services
- Government and the Protective Services
- Introduction to Criminology
- Expedition Skills
- Planning for and Responding to Emergency Incidents
This is a fast-paced course which encompasses the core values of the protective services, preparing you for application and selection in the sector. The course makes full use of the excellent facilities:
- Modern classrooms, fully equipped with IT support
- 3 full-size football pitches & a full-sized rugby pitch
- A state of the art sports hall, incorporating 4 badminton courts, a full-sized basketball court and cricket nets
- Indoor and outdoor climbing facilities
- High & low rope courses
- Archery range
- A fully-equipped fitness centre and a separate strength and conditioning facility
Extended Diploma, equivalent to 3 A-Levels in Protective Services.
This qualification has two externally assessed units which will be in the form of written exams. All other units are internally assessed through a range of methods including:
- Written reports
- Practical observations
All students will participate in a number of scenario-based exercises aimed to develop skills for working in pressurised environments. Students will also have opportunities to visit and participate in taster experiences for a number of protective service roles.