Skip to main content
Close

Financial Assistance

At BCA, we believe that a student’s financial circumstances should not be a barrier to learning and we, therefore, have several bursaries to help with your college-related costs.  BCA aims to use Government bursary funds to ensure financial support reaches those students who are most in need. Funds are used in the most effective and efficient way possible to ensure the maximum number of eligible students can access financial support.

All decisions about which students receive a bursary are made on a discretionary basis and families will need to meet the required criteria shown below. Funds are limited and we encourage students to apply early to avoid any disappointment.

All bursaries are subject to 92% attendance and adherence to the College Code of Conduct.

HOW TO APPLY:

  • Complete an application form within your online enrolment.
  • When completing the application, you will need to provide:Details of parent’s name, address, date of birth and National Insurance number along with the student’s name and date of birth to apply for free school meals.

     

    You will need to provide evidence of household income for 16-19 and 19-23 Bursary funds (see below).

    • The Bursary team will also be available during the enrolment period from 16th August 2021, so can assist you when you come into college to complete your enrolment. Please visit the Bursary department during enrolment (August – September 2021) with your supporting documents and we will be able to process your application.

EVIDENCE NEEDED TO SUPPORT YOUR APPLICATION:

  • ALL PAGES of your household’s Tax Credit award notice (TC602) dated 2020/2021.
  • THREE most recent Universal Credit statements each showing the net monthly earnings/take-home pay (e.g. if applying in July 2021 the three most recent statements will be April, May, and June 2021).
  • An income assessed benefit letter dated within the past three months indicating the benefit payment. For example; Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support and Employment and Support Allowance. Income assessed benefits do not include; Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Child Benefit and Carers Allowance.
  • For self-employment; an accountant’s letter stating projected earnings for 2021-22 OR all pages of your HMRC SA302 certificate for the tax year ending 5 April 2020.
  • If not eligible for one of the above you must provide a Council Tax Bill (or Tenancy Agreement) AND three months’ wage slips AND a recent P60 for each adult in the household.
  • Please supply any other relevant information regarding your income in the last twelve months, including furlough payments, exceptional benefits, redundancy payments, Business Support Grants etc. We may need to speak to you or ask for more information to complete the assessment.

You will be able to upload the supporting documents required as part of your online enrolment application or you can bring the documents to the Bursary department during the face-to-face stage of enrolment. However, please note that you will be placed in a queuing system to meet with our team face-to-face during busy periods at enrolment. You can download instructions on how to upload your evidential documents by clicking the PDF at the bottom of this page.

BursaryWhat is this?Who is Eligible?
BCA Travel Bursary


16-19 Discretionary Bursary Fund 2020-21:
A travel pass enabling students to travel to and from BCA on private, sub-contracted coaches or BCA minibuses.

The bursary fund will pay approximately 85% of the cost of an annual travel pass. The remaining 15% must be paid for at enrolment.

Further information can be found at: www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund/eligibility

Apply within your online enrolment account.
– Aged 16 or over but under 19 at 31 August 2021.

– Aged 19 or over are only eligible to receive a discretionary bursary if they are continuing on a study programme they began aged 16 to 18 (‘19+ continuers’) or have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

Gross household income (before tax) must be less than £26,000 per year. This includes all sources of income such as salaries, pensions, tax credits, housing benefits, universal credit etc.

NOT receiving help for travel from any other source (eg local council/authority)
Free College MealsThe Government provides a daily meal allowance of £2.41 for each college student meeting their criteria. For the current year, BCA has topped this up to provide a daily allowance of £3.50 for each day the student is in college or remote working.

Further information can be found at:
www.gov.uk/guidance/free-meals-in-further-education-funded-institutions-guide-for-the-2020-to-2021-academic-year#eligibility-for-free-meals

Apply within your online enrolment account.

Or you can apply yourself using: https://www.cloudforedu.org.uk/ofsm/fe-apply
– 16 – 19 years of age on 31 August 2021

– On a full-time BCA further education course (16 hours per week or more)

– In receipt of one of the following benefits: Income Support, Income-Based Job-Seekers Allowance, Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), support under part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, the guarantee element of Pension Credit, Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of £16,190 or less as assessed by HMRC), Working Tax Credit run-on, Universal Credit.

– BCA can apply for this benefit on the student’s behalf with the National Insurance Number and date of birth of the parent/carer.

– EHCP holder aged 16-25 years on 31 August 2021
Vulnerable Student BursaryThe vulnerable student bursary can pay up to £1,200 per year to a student participating on a study programme that lasts for 30 weeks or more if they need that amount of support. The bursary is available for covering the cost directly associated with studying.

The bursary is predominately used to cover annual travel passes, the direct purchase of books, uniform and equipment needed for the course, and meal vouchers. Where applicable, we will make weekly payments directly into the students own bank account to cover food costs whilst on site at college. These payments are based on a student’s behaviour, attendance and conduct.

Further information can be found at:
https://www.gov.uk/1619-bursary-fund/eligibility

Apply within your online enrolment account.
– 16-19 years of age on 31 August 2021

– Enrolled on a full-time BCA further education course (16 hours per week or more)

– In care

– Care leavers

– Receiving Income Support, or Universal Credit because they are financially supporting themselves or financially supporting themselves and someone who is dependent on them and living with them such as a child or partner

– Receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right

– Receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right
19-23 Bursary FundA travel pass enabling students to travel to and from BCA on private, sub-contracted coaches or BCA minibuses.

The bursary fund will pay approximately 85% of the cost of an annual travel pass. The remaining 15% must be paid for at enrolment.

BCA may also be able to contribute towards uniform costs.

Apply within your online enrolment account.
– Aged between 19 -23 at 31 August 2020.

Gross household income (before tax) must be less than £26,000 per year. This includes all sources of income such as salaries, pensions, tax credits, housing benefits, universal credit etc.

NOT receiving help for travel from any other source (eg local council/authority)
19+ Advanced Learner LoanIf you are studying on a full-time Level 3 or 4 programme or apprenticeship, you are eligible to apply for a loan to help you pay your tuition fees. These loans are not means-tested or subject to credit checks, and you start repaying the loan when you earn over £25,725 per year. 

Loans for Access to Higher education programmes are cleared if you go on to complete a higher education programme with the support of a higher education student loan.

For more information regarding eligibility criteria, please visit www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans

Apply within your online enrolment account.
– Aged between 19-23

– This is your first full Level 3 or Level 4 qualification or apprenticeship
Care to LearnIf you are a full-time student aged 20 years or under as of the 31 August 2020 and have a young child, you can apply for Care to Learn to assist with your childcare costs.

For more information, or to apply, please visit the Care to Learn website or call their helpline on 0845 600 28096
– Aged 20 or under as of 31st August 2021

– Have a young child

Downloads


Upload Instructions

PDF · 108.05kb

Download