About the Course
This course covers work positioning and using a chainsaw to cut horizontal and vertical sections in the tree. The course covers free-fall and handheld techniques and different types of cuts. You’ll also get a chance to use battery-operated saws, as well as petrol-driven top handled chainsaws. This course was also known as CS39.
Future Course Dates:
- 15-17 April 2020
Please contact us on 01628 827317 | firstname.lastname@example.org for further information, dates and availability.
What can I progress to?
There are a number of options following the successful completion of this course and the related assessment; however, the usual route is to complete the ‘rigging’ course:
- Level 3 Award in Aerial Tree Rigging (21-09 CS41)
What do I need for this course?
You will need the following equipment and PPE for this course.
- One top-handled chainsaw in good working order. Complete with owner’s manual and chainsaw lanyard.
- Two round chainsaw files as appropriate to chain type.
- An appropriate file holder (for above files).
- One 6” flat file – smooth cut with rounded edges.
- File handles for the above files.
- Combi-spanner / screwdriver.
- Depth gauge filing guide with bar scraper (or separate bar scraper).
- Grease gun for guide as applicable.
- A combination fuel/oil can, with fuel and oil sufficient for the course.
- Climbing equipment with LOLER certificate*(harness, climbing rope x 2, adjustable lanyard, min 4 Prusik loops, 4 karabiners, spikes, flipline). All equipment should be CE certified and no hand tied prusiks please.
- *NOTE: LOLER certificates or proof of purchase for equipment under 6 months old, must be shown to both the trainer and the assessor therefore please make these available on the relevant days.
- Protective helmet with chin strap, ear and eye protection.
- Chainsaw trousers: Type C with all round leg and groin protection.
- Chainsaw protective boots with good grip.
- Wet weather clothing (if needed).
- One personal first aid kit (see FISA 802).
Please notify us of any shortages before the course for equipment or PPE.
Are there any pre-requisites?
Yes, you must have completed the courses listed below before booking this course:
- Level 2 Award in Chainsaw Maintenance and crosscutting (20-03 CS30)
- Level 2 Award in Felling Trees up to 380mm (20-04 CS31)
- Level 2 Award in Climbing Trees and Aerial Rescue (20-13 CS38)
A further one day is required for the assessment with an independent assessor.