About The Course
Please be aware that there is now a waiting list for our Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design course. Any applications will still be accepted but interviews/offers will not take place until a later date. If you have any queries, please email: email@example.com
This course is for those interested in exploring the creative potential of a wide range of art and design mediums. Our students develop their skills and apply them to design projects in areas such as painting and drawing, textiles, photography and 3D design.
There will be opportunities to visit exhibitions, museums and galleries, get involved in art and design competitions and work on live projects with clients and community groups.
You will learn through a combination of workshops, practical/theory sessions, practical assignment work and regular reflective practice.
Four GCSEs at grade 2 or above, including English and maths. Some previous art study would be advantageous but is not essential.
- Progression to Level 3 Art & Design (depending upon overall grade and English and maths results).
- An apprenticeship or entry level job in the creative industries.
Some example units include:
- Exploring artists, media and techniques
- Textile design
- 3D design
- Portfolio Building
You will be asked to provide a portfolio of previous and current artwork at interview.
Uniform: You will need a washable apron and an old shirt to wear during practical projects. Avoid wearing your best shoes or trainers!
Your kit list is:
- A plastic toolbox – to store your art materials (please stick to rectangle toolboxes not square storage boxes, as these don’t fit on our storage shelves). Max size: 40cm(L) x 21cm(W) x 20cm(H>)
- Derwent pencil set – set of 12 Graphic Medium (6B – 4H)
- Glue stick (Pritt Stick)
- A selection of black & coloured fine liners
- Watercolour set – palette or tubes depending on your preference (especially white)
- Acrylic paint starter set (primary colours)
- A selection of pointed paint brushes – small, medium, large
- USB SD Card reader
- SD card (16Gb or larger)
- Pencil sharpener
- Scissors for cutting paper
- A basic sewing set – with pins, needles, small scissors and threads (can be sourced at pound shops)
- Something to use as a water pot, a plastic cup or empty yoghurt pot or small dessert ramekin dish, this will need to fit in your toolbox for storage.
- Posca Pen set
- Dressmaking pins
- Car wash sponge
You are expected to keep these resources stocked up. All Art & Design Students to pay an additional Studio Charge at Enrolment – this covers materials used in their exploratory lessons: paper, paint, ink, fabric, fabric dye, clay, wire, plaster etc.
Please note: Additional costs for materials may be required for all final outcomes and FMP’s or additional materials may need to be supplied by the Student.
An OCR Level 2 Extended Certificate or Diploma in Art & Design.
Coursework is internally assessed. We assess in a variety of ways including sketchbook work, annotations, portfolio building, Q&A’s, presentations and practical outcomes.
Our Level 2 students undertake a week’s industry placement every March. You will be well-prepared to go out into the world of work and to a destination suited to your individual progression.
You will also get to work on live projects with college departments and external clients across the year as part of our professional development sessions. We also invite visiting speakers to meet with you and to run specialist workshops.