Before you start
Hello there! We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to study with us in September 2022! The team is busy preparing your study programme for you and we can’t wait to share with you our projects, community goals, and cross-curricular plans. We are also intrigued to see what creative wonders you have in store for us!
You will need a washable apron and an old shirt to wear during practical projects. Avoid wearing your best shoes or trainers!
Your kit list is:
- A plastic tool box – to store your art materials (please stick to rectangle tool boxes not square storage boxes, as these don’t fit on our storage shelves). Max size: 40cm(L) x 21cm(W) x 20cm(H>)
- Derwent pencil set – set of 12 Graphic Medium (6B – 4H)
- Glue stick (Pritt Stick)
- A selection of black & coloured fineliners
- Watercolor set – palette or tubes depending on your preference (especially white)
- Acrylic paint starter set (primary colours)
- A selection of pointed paint brushes – small, medium, large
- USB SD Card reader
- SD card (16Gb or larger)
- Pencil sharpener
- Scissors for cutting paper
- A basic sewing set – with pins,needles, small scissors and threads (can be sourced at pound shops)
- Something to use as a water pot, a plastic cup or empty yogurt pot or small dessert ramekin dish, this will need to fit in your tool box for storage.
- Posca Pen set
- Dressmaking pins
- Car wash sponge
You are expected to keep these resources stocked up. All Art & Design Students to pay an additional £60 Studio Charge at Enrolment – this covers materials used in their exploratory lessons : paper, paint, ink, fabric, fabric dye, clay, wire, plaster etc.
Please note: Additional costs for materials may be required for all final outcomes and FMP’s or additional materials may need to be supplied by the Student.
For nearly all practical work you will need to tie long hair back. We may advise you that some piercings will need to be removed ahead of practicals, but these should be fine for the majority of non-practical sessions.
Industry Placement is a mandatory element of your study programme. All Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 Year 2 Creative Arts students undertake 1 week’s block-placement. Block placement dates will be confirmed at Enrolment and during induction.
IMPORTANT: Please note that we are reviewing our placement hours, in line with government guidance regarding technical qualifications. As such, our placement ‘offer’ may change prior to the academic year starting. If it does change, our Industry Placement Team will be in touch via email to you and your next of kin.
Expectations will be laid out in our student handbook – which will be shared with you and parents shortly after enrolment. We will go through all of our expectations during induction and again mid-year.